Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Poetry In Motion (taken from the space time continuum)


From The Double Image, Pt/1

by Anne Sexton


I am thirty this November.

You are still small, in your fourth year.

We stand watching the yellow leaves go queer,

flapping in the winter rain.

falling flat and washed. And I remember

mostly the three autumns you did not live here.

They said I’d never get you back again.

I tell you what you’ll never really know:

all the medical hypothesis

that explained my brain will never be as true as these

struck leaves letting go.


I, who chose two times

to kill myself, had said your nickname

the mewling mouths when you first came;

until a fever rattled

in your throat and I moved like a pantomine

above your head. Ugly angels spoke to me. The blame,

I heard them say, was mine. They tattled

like green witches in my head, letting doom

leak like a broken faucet;

as if doom had flooded my belly and filled your bassinet,

an old debt I must assume.


No comments:

Post a Comment